Medical studies at Valparaiso University, Chile. 1992-1999
Neurosurgery at Valparaiso University, Chile 1999-2001
General Neurosurgeon at Coquimbo Hospital, Chile 2002-2005
Diagnostic and interventional Neuroradiology Fellow at Instituto de Neurocirugia, Chile. 2005-2008
Interventional Neuroradiology Fellow at the Interventional Neuroradiology Department of Prof. Jacques Moret, Rothschild Foundation Paris, France 2008-2009
Health management diploma, Universidad Andres Bello 2010-2011
Biostatistics Diploma 2011-2012 Universidad de Chile
He now works at the Neuroradiology Department at the Instituto de Neurocirugia Dr. Asenjo in Santiago-Chile, a dedicated hospital for nervous system diseases from the national public health network. Two biplane neuroangiographs performs annually 1200 diagnostic angiographies and 370 interventional procedures. He works together with Juan Gabriel SORDO, Lautaro BADILLA and Eduardo BRAVO in the interventional neuroradiology section and with Cecilia OKUMA, Aaron VIDAL, Roberto MARILEO and Ingeborg LOPEZ in the diagnostic neuroradiology section.
Dr. Rivera has actively participated in the creation and development of the first interventional neuroradiology application for iPad: iNRtune www.inrtune.com with hundreds of interesting cases in aneurysms, AVM, dural fistulas and Stoke. He now participate as a reviewer of Stroke Journal for LINNC online web site www.linnc.com . He has also contributed in the live transmissions during the Paris LINNC, and performed a live broadcast from Chile during Paris LINNC 2014.
• Rivera R, Choi IS, Sordo JG, Giacaman P, Badilla L, Bravo E, Echeverria D (2014): Unusual origin of the left ophthalmic artery from the basilar trunk. Surg Radiol Anat. July 2014.
• Rivera, R., Sordo, J., Badilla, L., Bravo, E., Riveros, R., & Giacaman, P. (2014). Middle cerebral artery occlusion with moyamoya-like vessels and aneurysms. A report of two cases. Interventional Neuroradiology : Journal of Peritherapeutic Neuroradiology, Surgical Procedures and Related Neurosciences, 20(1), 96–99.
• Valencia, A., Burdiles, P., Ignat, M., Mura, J., Bravo, E., Rivera, R., & Sordo, J. (2013). Fluid structural analysis of human cerebral aneurysm using their own wall mechanical properties. Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine, 2013, 293128. doi:10.1155/2013/293128
• Guilherme S Nakiri, Eduardo Bravo, Maher Al-Khawaldeh, Rodrigo Rivera, Lautaro Badilla, and Charbel Mounayer: Endovascular treatment of aneurysm arising from fenestration of the supraclinoid internal carotid artery - Two case reports. J Neuroradiol Vol 39 (3) 195-199
• Alvaro Valencia, Julio Munizaga, Rodrigo Rivera, and Eduardo Bravo: Numerical investigation of the hemodynamics in anatomically realistic lateral cerebral aneurysms. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2612-2621, 2010
• Valencia A, Muñoz, Muñoz F, Araya S, Rivera R, Bravo E: Comparison Between Fluid Dynamics, Fluid–Structure Interaction and Computational Structural Dynamics Predictions of Flow-induced wall mechanics in an anatomically realistic cerebral aneurysm model. International Journal of Computational Fluid Dynamics Vol 23(9) October-November 649-666
• Rivera R, Blanc R, Piotin M, Spelle L, Moret J. Single hole cerebral arteriovenous fistula between the anterior choroidal artery and the basal vein of Rosenthal in a child. Childs Nerv Syst. 2009 Nov;25(11):1521-3. Epub 2009 Jun 11.
• Valencia A, Morales H, Rivera R, Bravo E, Galvez M. Blood flow dynamics in patient-specific cerebral aneurysm models: The relationship between wall shear stress and aneurysm area index. Med Eng Phys. 2007 Jun 5.
• Pavez A, Salazar C, Rivera R, et al: Description of Endoscopic Ventricular Anatomy in Myelomeningocele. Minim Invas Neurosurg 2006 49: 161-167